- SLEEP: Get adequate sleep, preferably eight to nine hours a night. Sleep replenishes the body's energy and heals its muscles. Inadequate sleep will leave you exhausted and in pain. Valerian, hops, passionflower, melatonin, skullcap and many others are safe and effective.
- HORMONES: Get tested for hormone deficiency and treated if needed. Hormone deficiencies can contribute to fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome. There are many nutritional supplements that support restoration of the glands. Thyroid Support, Thytrophin, Adrenergize, From Fatigued to Fantastic, DHEA, EstroGain, Testogain and many more.
- IMMUNITY: Get treatment when symptoms of infections occur. The lack of restorative sleep in CFS/FM leads to dysfunctional immune systems. Underlying viral, bacterial, bowel, sinus and yeast infections are common and can be a contributing cause or result of CFS/FM. The Candida Diet /Paleo Mediterranean is a foundational approach to healing the underlying gut problem. 80% of the immune system is in the gut lining - GALT (Gut associated lymphatic tissue) is an important component of the body's immune system. In fact, the intestine possesses the largest mass of lymphoid tissue in the human body. Goldenseal, astragalus, probiotics, colloidal silver, garlic, oregano, olive leaf, berberine, grapefruit seed extract and more.
- NUTRITON: To maintain normal health and optimal energy levels you need to be sure your body is getting a proper balance of nutrition, particularly as nutritional deficiencies can result from CFS/FM. Omega 3, Vitamin B-12, magnesium, Acetyl L-Carnitine, glutathione, as well as your basic A, B, C and D. vitamins are especially vulnerable to depletion from this.
- EXERCISE: Exercise as able. After 10 weeks on the 4 steps above, you will be able to slowly increase your exercise-without being wiped out the next day! Walking or Yoga are the best beginnings.
- STRESS MANAGEMENT-The body’s resources get worn down by overwork and unrealistic expectations. Learning to say ‘no’ and doing fun, restorative activities is an important part of healing from the inside out. The body-mind connection is a key component of health. Sometimes we need to think a different way to lay the foundation for a new way of being.
“Affirmations- I am enthusiastic about my future and my life and I release the past with love”.
SHINE is the basic strategy taken from Jacob Teitelbaum MD with modifications by Deb Ford MS RD CCN